Strawberry season is finally here – time to bake a strawberry crisp
Strawberries are in season. Show me what you are making.
The strawberry season is short, so you must take advantage of this sweet gift of nature while it lasts. Today we picked up some fresh picked strawberries from our local farmer's market. After much consideration, we decided to make a strawberry crisp to enjoy around the pool. Don't tell anyone, but we ate the whole thing.
- 5 heaping cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the tops of the berries and then slice.
- In a medium mixing bowl add 1/4 cup sugar to the strawberries. Let stand for 5 minutes then add in the cornstarch and vanilla extract and stir to coat. Pour into a pie dish.
- In a separate medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and stir well until incorporated and has crumbly texture. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Allow to cool and serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top.
Doug the FoodGuy