The art of breakfast: three rules for creating the perfect avocado toast
It's every brunch-goer's favourite dish
Avocado toast is an indispensable staple for the brunch-obsessed millennial generation. But have you ever wondered why your homemade avocado toast never tastes as good as the one at the local café? Try incorporating some of these rules the next time you make avocado toast to up your breakfast game.
1. Dress it up
Always make sure to add some sort of dressing to your avocado toast. Citrus-based dressings work best to complement the flavours of the avocado by providing some acidity to balance out the dense creaminess of the avocado. Try using lemon juice, lime juice or balsamic vinegar.
2. Choose the right bread
Use bread that has a crispy crust on the outside, and is soft and airy on the inside. A thicker loaf slice will also prevent the bread from collapsing or losing its shape once all the toppings have been added. Try using sourdough, ciabatta or sliced baguette.
3. Seasoning is crucial
Seasoning is arguably one of the most important parts of a meal, and this is no different when it comes to avocado toast. The addition of salt and pepper, or even better, spices like za'atar or chilli flakes, truly enhances the flavours of the dish and takes it to a whole new level. Try using rock sea salt, cracked pepper, za'atar or chilli flakes.
Need to see a recipe that incorporates all of the above? Why not try this one...
- 2 slices wholewheat sourdough bread
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp za'atar spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/4 a red onion, thinly sliced
- Toast both slices of bread for two minutes.
- Slice an avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut a grid into each half of the avocado without cutting through the skin. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and transfer into a small bowl.
- Mash the avocado using a fork until it reaches a thick, chunky, paste-like consistency.
- Spread equal amounts of the smashed avocado onto each piece of toast.
- Arrange the onion on top of the avocado layer.
- Season with lemon zest, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and za'atar spice.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and serve.