The Ultimate Dinner Party Menu: The Best Crème Caramel Recipe Ever
A smooth, classic French dessert, that will soon be every guest's favourite!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 knob of butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup of seasonal berries (to garnish)
- 2 sprigs of mint (to garnish)
- Add a 1/3 cup of water to 6 tbsp of caster sugar in a large pan at medium heat. Stir mixture until all the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to the dissolved sugar mixture.
- Leave mixture to caramelise at medium heat, until it turns light brown.
- Once mixture begins to caramelise, add one knob of butter, and 1 tsp of vanilla essence, and stir.
- Once all ingredients are fully stirred into the mixture, turn off the heat.
- Pour the caramel into the base of a large ramekin, before the mixture begins to cool and harden.
- Add 6 large eggs, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp vanilla essence, and a pinch of salt to a blender.
- Blend together all the ingredients for approximately 30 seconds, or until all the ingredients appear combined.
- Add milk to the mixture and blend again.
- Once all the ingredients have been blended, remove the top layer of foam from the mixture.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, and into a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the caramel-based ramekin.
- Fill a large dish with boiling-hot water until a quarter of the dish is filled.
- Place the prepared ramekin in the hot water bath.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 40-55 minutes.
- Remove ramekin from the water bath, and allow to cool at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate the cooled ramekin for 6 hours or overnight.
- Knife around the edges of the ramekin and flip upside down on a flat dish to reveal set crème caramel.
- Garnish with mint and seasonal berries.