The ultimate winter warmer: Vegan chilli pie recipe
Vegan chilli with a lovely mashed sweet potato topping
You've probably heard a lot about it being Veganuary. But whether you're vegan or not, you'll love this tasty vegan chilli pie. It's a healthy winter warmer that will get you through a miserable January!
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 green chilli diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 stick of celery diced
- A heaped tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsps of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 300g potato
- 300g sweet potato
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- Olive oil
- Peel and chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into 3cm chunks, add them to a pan in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes, and carry on with the other stages.
- Add a nice glug of olive oil to a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, chilli, the spices and cook for about 8-10 mins until softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and scrape any sticky stuff from the bottom of the pan (its all flavour) until the vinegar is cooked away.
- Add the tomatoes, mixed beans and season everything with sea salt and black pepper. Turn the heat down and leave simmer for about 20 mins.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and let them steam away for a minute, then mash them and mix the spring onion in. At this point i put a splash of milk in, but you can use a vegan alternative. Mix it in so it has a nice creamy consistency. Season lightly with sea salt and black pepper
- Finally, pour the chilli into a baking dish and cover with the mash potato, fluff up the top with a fork, drizzle with olive oil and put in the oven at 180°F for 30 mins or until the top looks like gold.
- Serve with a bit of salad or some veg – nice with a glass of red wine.
If you can get some La Chinata sweet smoked paprika, use it! It has a really good smokey flavour.