This molten chocolate lava cake is crazy addictive
Melt-in-your-mouth-perfection. You'll be just as obsessed as I am.
Somewhere between a chocolate cake and soufflé, preparing a fancy chocolate lava cake may seem like a daunting task, but these are simple, quick, and easy to make. Plus, they're so irresistible that you won't be able to stop at just having one.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 170g of bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsps of plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of icing sugar or cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Prepare the ramekins by lining them with some butter and a dusting of flour.
- Melt the butter and chocolate, and whisk them together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt until the mixture turns pale and is thick in consistency.
- Fold the egg mixture into the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Add in the flour and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins and place them in the oven.
- Cook for 6-8 min.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and allow them to cool in the ramekins for 2 min.
- Cover each ramekin with an inverted dessert plate and carefully flip each one over.
- Allow each cake to stand for 10 seconds and then gently remove the ramekin from atop.
- Sift icing sugar or cocoa powder on top of each cake.
- Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream, crème fraîche, clotted cream, salted caramel, red wine chocolate ganache, or berries, as desired.