Vegetable Lasagna – an easy and adaptable recipe
A low sodium version, which still tastes great
For last night's dinner, I made vegetable lasagna. I had to improvise a bit, but it turned out pretty well. My son had seconds, so I know it was successful! 😄
This was another thrown together dish, so the measurements in the ingredients list is kind of guesstimated, but lasagna tends to be a pretty forgiving recipe. I used dried herbs because that is what I had on hand (there's parsley and basil in the garden, but there was no time to fetch any indoors), and, except for the carrot and the zucchini, all the vegetables were frozen. Change things up to suit your own preferences and pantry contents.
- 8-10 lasagna noodles
- Water for cooking noodles
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup frozen, chopped broccoli
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup fake burger crumbles
- 1 28-ounce can crushed, no salt added tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash (original flavor)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- 3 tablespoons basil (dried), divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley (dried)
- Black pepper to taste
- 10 ounces low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- Nutmeg to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Break noodles in half, add to water, and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Put some olive oil into a saucepan and turn on the heat. Add all vegetables and saute until carrots are tender. Stir in fake burger and cook until thawed. Stir in spices and herbs (use two tablespoons basil) and crushed tomatoes. Cook sauce until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Combine cheeses (using half the mozzarella and two tablespoons parmesan), eggs, remaining tablespoon basil, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Spread some of the sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Cover the sauce with a layer of noodles. Spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles and spread another layer of sauce. Repeat with another layer of noodles, the rest of the cheese mixture, and another layer of sauce. Finish with one final layer noodles and more sauce. Sprinkle the top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and allow lasagna to sit for about ten minutes before serving.