Veggie moussaka recipe
What could be joyous than a rich and flavoursome veggie moussaka? And with no meat in sight and 0% Fat Natural Yogurt, it’s super healthy too.
Post sponsored by
What could be joyous than a rich and flavoursome veggie moussaka? And with no meat in sight and Yeo Valley 0% Fat Natural Yogurt, it’s a super healthy supper, too!
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 x 400g tins green lentils, drained
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Small bunch of oregano, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 300ml 0% Fat Natural Yogurt
- 1 egg
- 50g vegetarian (non-Parmesan) hard cheese, grated
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160° fan/gas mark 4. In a large pan with a lid, heat 2 tsp of the oil and gently fry the onions for 3-4 mins, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the carrot, lentils, stock, tomatoes and tomato purée, cinnamon and oregano and stir well. Drop in the bay leaf and season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer with the lid on for 30 mins. Remove the lid and simmer for 10 mins more until the lentils and carrots are tender and the juices have reduced to make a thick sauce.
- While the lentils are cooking, mix together the remaining oil and the lemon juice and brush a thin layer onto the aubergine slices. Heat the grill and brown the aubergine slices on both sides.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, egg and half the cheese together. Remove the bay leaf from the lentils and spread half of the lentil mixture into a large lasagne dish. Top with a layer of aubergine. Repeat, finishing with an aubergine layer. Pour the yogurt mixture over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 45 mins until the top is golden brown.