Weeknight staple - Chicken Teriyaki recipe
Easy, delicious, and nostalgic!
- 1 knob of ginger
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1 cupe sake
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbls cornstarch
- 4 tbls water
- 1 tbls sesame seeds
- 1lb chicken thighs (boneless w/ skin on)
- 1 head of broccoli or other vegetable
- 1 cup sushi rice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel ginger and garlic and finely chop/dice
- Add 1 tbls oil along with garlic and ginger to a pan on low heat and cook until fragrant - approx. 1-3min
- Add sake, mirin, soy, and bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5min.
- Once the sauce is reduced by about 1/3 make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- Add the slurry to the sauce and incorporate
- Add sesame seeds, and stir to combine. once cooled keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Chicken and Veg
- Salt and pepper the chicken thighs on both sides and let sit uncovered skin side up for 30 minutes, preferably overnight in the fridge. This drys the skin - more crispy.
- Add chicken skin side down to a cold pan, and turn heat to medium, and let chicken fat render.
- While the chicken is rendering cut/prep your broccoli or veg of choice and start your rice.
- Once the chicken skin is golden brown and crispy (about 5min), flip it and cook until Golden brown and cooked through, then take it out and set aside.
- Add your vegetables to the same pan and sauté in the chicken fat. Once it is crispy, and vibrant in color remove from the heat.
- Coat/dunk your chicken thighs in teriyaki sauce, slice it and serve it with rice, and your vegetable. Drizzle a little extra sauce for good measure.
- Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- Add rice to pot and add 1 cup of water
- Turn the heat to high until you see bubbles, turn the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 15mins.
- Once done, turn the heat off, fluff the rice with a fork, cover and let it sit for 5mins or until ready to serve.
Of course you can buy a bottle of teriyaki sauce and then just skip the sauce section.