What happens when you cook a ham in Monster Energy?
Yep, you read that right.
As James May might have mentioned in the occasional FoodTribe video, I don't cook. This is partly due to laziness and partly because I'm just pretty bad at it. Despite that, James has decided I should try and do a bit more cooking, and to kick that off he's challenged me to make weird dishes that nobody else would try. You may have heard of cooking ham in coke, that felt too normal, so let's begin with cooking a piece of gammon in Monster Energy drink.
It actually tasted way better than I expected, I might even try it again. Here's the recipe in case you'd like to give it a go:
- 750g of gammon
- 2 cans of Monster Energy Ultra
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of black treacle
- A handful of cloves
- Put the gammon in a saucepan and cover it with the Monster Energy. Put the gammon in the pan skin side down if it fits.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 240°C/gas mark 9/450ºF.
- Once the meat is cooked, take it out of the pan and remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin, taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat.
- Cook in a foil-lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is burnished and bubbly.
- Let the meat rest for about 10mins then serve.