Wholegrain spelt flour flaxseed waffles recipe
Vegan, fibre-rich waffles with a perfect crispy crunch
Sometimes, at breakfast time, you just want waffles – and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're after a waffle that's vegan, perfectly crisp and packed full of nutrients, you're likely to struggle to find what you're looking for in the ready-made aisle. And that's where this wholegrain spelt flour flaxseed waffles recipe from Linwoods comes in...
Ready in a snap, made with minimal ingredients, and high in Omega-3, protein and fibre, these waffles are a cut above your average breakfast items. Pile them high with berries and yoghurt, and start your day feeling extra smug.
- 90g wholegrain spelt flour
- 1 tbsp Linwoods Milled Flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½-1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 125ml milk of choice (non-dairy, if preferred)
- Preheat your waffle iron – this is key.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl or jug. Set to one side for 5 minutes (it will be quite a thick batter).
- Grease your waffle iron with spray oil and pour the batter in, spreading a little so it reaches the edges. Be sure not to overfill the waffle iron.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes (waffle irons vary, and timings also depend on the amount of batter you use per waffle). If you like your waffles crispy, leave them a little longer.
- Serve topped with berries, honey or maple syrup, and a dollop of your favourite yogurt or ice cream (if you’re feeling that way inclined).
You can make your waffles in advance in batches, then freeze and reheat them in an oven or air fryer to crisp them back up.
Find out more about Linwoods.