Wild Berry Jam Meringue Tartlets
A simple and tasty homemade head turner! These flavourful tarts really please, and make a great companion to any cup of tea or coffee.
- For the pastry
- 185g plain flour
- 125g unsalted butter, from the fridge
- About 50ml water
- For the filling
- 350g home-made mixed wild berry jam (or you could use high quality shop brought one)
- For the meringue
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 200g golden caster sugar
- Sift the plain flour into a bowl. Cut the butter into dice and add to the flour.
- Lightly rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water then mix to a dough, first with a wooden spoon then knead lightly with your hands on a worktop dusted lightly with flour. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film, then refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll into a large disc on a floured worktop. Roll very thin, until almost transparent. Use a 9cm round cutter to make 12 discs.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin and line with the pastry discs.
- Blind bake for 10-12 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and fill three-quarters full with jam and place back in the oven.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes or until the jam bubbles.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Whilst the tarts are cooling, place the egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk to soft peaks, then add the sugar gradually until smooth and thick.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue on the tarts and return to the oven for 8- 10 mins until the meringue is crisp and slightly coloured. Let the tartlets sit in the tin for until cool.
For the wild berry jam recipe https://australianflavours.com.au/recipes/wild-berry-meringue-tarlets/