Woman eats raw chicken in viral TikTok and claims it's why she's never been ill
Don't try this. Seriously.
TikTok is full of some very odd food-related things. Some of those very odd food-related things go viral and one of the latest of those goes far beyond being odd. In fact, it goes into the territory of being downright dangerous! A woman whose handle on the site is @emmawoodward16 posted a video of her eating some "natural chicken" (aka diced raw chicken) after being given it by a man, with the text "why I'm never ill" appearing over the video. The video has since racked up nearly 58,000 likes (at the time of writing) and has been viewed over 860,000 times.
Emma Woodward (@emmawoodward16) has created a short video on TikTok with music original sound. | f#fyp | why I'm never ill
Obviously, eating raw chicken like this is actually not very good for you at all. Speaking to Insider about the viral TikTok video, Dr. Snehelata Topgi (an emergency room physician in New York City) said that raw chicken has harmful bacteria that can "change the flora in your colon", the flora being the 'good bacteria' found in your stomach that aids in keeping your digestive system healthy. Topgi also said that raw chicken is "highly susceptible to bacteria like salmonella or campylobacter". Salmonella lives in the intestinal tract of humans and animals and causes food poisoning symptoms, which include vomiting and diarrhea.
Dr. Mel Kramer, an infectious disease epidemiologist, also told Insider that raw chicken can contain bacteria that lead to a number of horrible conditions including Septic Arthritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a chronic condition in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves, potentially leading to partial paralysis). Those of us who are immunocompromised also have a higher risk of contracting these diseases and becoming seriously ill or dying from them.
The raw chicken video doesn't seem to be part of any kind of weird food trend (thankfully!), but that's not to say that dangerous food trends haven't existed before on the app. Last year TikTok tried to take action in stemming the tide of a dangerous 'nutmeg challenge', in which people would consume excessive quantities (usually 2-4 teaspoons) of the common kitchen spice to get high off it. It's incredibly risky to eat nutmeg for this reason, as too much of it can actually cause death.
As much as some weird people on TikTok might say that eating raw chicken might mean they're never ill, don't even consider trying it. Seriously. It's far, far too dangerous. Make sure you follow safe guidelines on how to handle raw chicken such as this one here and this one here issued by the CDC in the US. It's not worth risking your health and potentially your life to go viral online or because somebody who isn't qualified to talk about nutrition and food safety tells you that you should.